All Wrongful Deal Lawsuits in Astroworld Incident Settled, Lawyer Says

The last wrongful death case filed after the tragic crushing death of ten people at the Astroworld music event in 2021 has been resolved.

Jury selection was scheduled to commence on September 10 in the case initiated by the relatives of Ezra Blount (9), one of the youngest concertgoers killed during rapper Travis Scott’s concert. But, according to Blount’s family attorney, S. Scott West, a settlement was reached.

The family of the Blount boy had filed a lawsuit against Scott, the festival’s producer, Live Nation, and others associated with the show, including Apple Inc., which broadcast the performance live.

During the event on November 5, 2021, Ezra’s father, Treston Blount, said that his son was perched on his shoulders until the crowd swallowed them. Upon regaining consciousness, Treston Blount discovered that Ezra had vanished. Ezra was taken to a Houston, Texas, hospital after an intense search with serious injuries. A few days later, the boy succumbed to his injuries. 

Nine other wrongful death cases had been resolved earlier this month, according to attorneys.

There are still over 2,400 injury claims that were submitted after the concert. Following the overcrowding at Astroworld, almost four thousand people took legal action by submitting hundreds of lawsuits.

The ages of the victims varied from nine to twenty-seven years old.

A medical professional has speculated that the ten victims likely passed out within two minutes due to oxygen deprivation in vital organs like the brain and heart as a result of the tremendous pressure from the enormous crowd at the event.

According to critical care anesthesiologist Dr. George W. Williams of the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston, the victims’ chests were probably crushed by hundreds, if not thousands, of pounds of pressure.

Scott, Live Nation, and the other defendants in the lawsuit have all refuted the allegations, stating that the safety of their customers was their priority and that the events that transpired were unexpected.

Last year, after an inquiry by the police, a grand jury decided not to prosecute Scott and five others associated with the event.